HON ROY W. KING DIVERSITY CLERKSHIP PROGRAM
2022 Information Sheet & Application
Return this application to:
Diversity Clerkship Program
PO Box 14569
Rochester, New York 14614
Applications Must be Received By January 17, 2022
Applications Must be sent electronically.
Honorable Roy w. king Diversity Clerkship Program
Program Overview:The Honorable Roy W. King Diversity Clerkship Program is co-sponsored by the MCBA (through its Diversity Committee), the Rochester Black Bar Association (RBBA), and the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys (GRAWA). Since 2005, this program has sought to increase diversity in the legal profession in the Rochester area by attracting first-year law students to work in paid positions with Rochester-area law firms and other legal employers. The RBBA Honorable Roy W. King Diversity Clerkship program seeks to increase the population of attorneys of color in the Greater Rochester legal community by offering legal clerkships and mentorship to law students of color from racial and ethnic backgrounds that have been historically underserved and underrepresented in the legal profession who have completed their first year in law school. Housing is provided for non-Monroe County resident summer clerkship participants.
Candidates will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- – Interview/interpersonal skills
- – Diversity statement
- – Writing skills
- – Connection to Western New York and/or interest in practicing in the Rochester community
- – Involvement in relevant professional and community activities
- – Academic achievement
- – Work experience
- 1. Application:Eligible first-year law students are required to submit an application, current resume, undergraduate and law school transcripts, a personal statement and the designated writing sample by January 17, 2022.
- 2. Interview:Based on the application materials submitted, qualified candidates are invited to Rochester for an interview conducted by members of the Diversity Clerkship Committee interviews. Interviews can be conducted by video conferencing Students must secure their own transportation to Rochester for the interviews, please contact Westerly Magnera, firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-502-8736, for potential assistance or alternatives or notify the committee of their need to be interviewed by video conference which will be held on Saturday, February 19, 2022.
- 3. Selection Process:After the interviews, each candidate will rank the employers and the employers the same. Then, the Diversity Clerkship Committee will review candidates based on the criteria described above, as well as the rankings to determine which candidates and alternates will receive offers.
- 4. Offers: Selected candidates will receive an offer of placement with a particular organization. Thereafter, candidates will have three days to accept or decline the initial offer* (there is no discussion of monetary terms at this point). If an offer is declined, the position will be extended to an alternate. Students who decline offers will not be given the option of an alternate placement.
* Employers may require that additional information be provided before an offer is made.
Q & A Information Sessions
December 10, 2021
12:00pm – 1:00pm
January 7, 2022
12:00pm – 1:00pm
RSVP to email@example.com for meeting link
Please Click Here for the Fillable Clerkship Application